No matter what type of tennis court you choose for your facility, regular maintenance is essential. However, clay court maintenance is a little trickier than most. If a clay court is what your facility needs, here is what you’ll need to do to keep it in top shape.
Purchase the Correct Tools
Clay courts cannot be maintained with your standard cleaning and maintenance tools. This means making special purchases specifically for keeping your court looking good and functioning well. The clay tennis court maintenance equipment to have on hand includes:
- A lute to break up hard-pan areas and spread new material
- A drag broom to give a finished look
- A line broom for clearing clay off the lines
- A line scrubber for stubborn clay
- A court rake for the perimeter to stop algae formation
- An Aussie clean sweep for removing small debris like pine needles
- A spreader for adding new clay and calcium
- A roller to tamp down lines
Clay Tennis Court Maintenance Steps
Maintenance for clay tennis courts can be broken down into three categories: daily, periodic, and annual. Keep in mind that different types of clay courts may have different needs. However, most will require the following:
- Brush to redistribute the top dressing that has come loose due to wind or play.
- Water the court to keep it firm and stable, providing proper traction for the players. If the court already seems moist, this can be skipped. In most cases, clay courts are watered twice a day.
- Roll the court to help it gain firmness and prevent loose top dressing from causing instability. If the court is at optimal compaction, this can be done every other day.
With period maintenance of a clay court, you address irregularities in the court that develop over time. This means filling in divots and low spots, checking for anywhere the surface is too high and evening these out, scarification of slippery areas, and elimination of growth and debris in and around the court and drainage channels.
With annual maintenance, the court should be fully cleaned and leveled, new top dressing assed, and new tape installed. In some cases, tennis court repair will be needed, which is more in-depth than the standard yearly maintenance.
The importance of tennis court maintenance cannot be overstated. However, if all this sounds like a lot, Talbot Tennis is happy to help. We offer maintenance packages that help keep clay tennis courts at their best.